DO TEAM BUILDING EVENTS WORK?
Let’s be honest, Team Building seems to attract bad press.
It really shouldn’t. We believe it is the most important investment you can make for your employees.
It builds trust, mitigates conflict, encourages communication, and increases collaboration. Effective team building means more engaged employees, which is good for company culture and improving the bottom line. It can also be very enjoyable if you do it with a little imagination.
Done properly, with careful planning and professional delivery, team building events are an incredibly powerful tool.
Here at What An Event we have some important “rules” to ensure that you get absolutely the most benefit from your team building events.
1. Make it fun! If people are enjoying themselves and making memories together, then the team bonding will happen naturally.
2. Get away from the office environment. This is vital to maximise the return on your investment. Not only does it make your staff feel appreciated, but it is great for providing a level playing field, and removing hierarchical barriers that exist in the workplace.
3. You don’t have to spend a fortune, but don’t skimp on the costs either. Doing something for the absolute lowest price possible will usually lead to an unsuccessful event, and have the opposite effect on staff morale.
4. Don’t force the Corporate Message. The most successful team building events are ones that are memorable and fun, and don’t feel like a day at the office. Having fun together working towards a common goal promotes organic strengthening of relationships, which is far more effective.
5. Be brave! Try something different and think outside of the box. It is easy to underestimate your employees’ willingness to get stuck in and give something a try. It’s a balance though. We don’t recommend sky diving for everyone! You also need to be mindful of your team’s dynamic and physical diversity.
6. Team building should not be a one-time investment. It’s important to build on the benefits of a teambuilding event. Have a programme of events scheduled that will continue to strengthen your team.
How do you know if you’ve got it right? If there was laughter, excitement, lots of talking, and a sense of achievement, plus a few Social Media posts, then you’re definitely heading in the right direction.